Join Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center in bringing pediatric care close to home
Martin Truex Jr. Foundation Children’s Emergency
Thousands of children in the Lake Norman and Huntersville communities require some level of urgent care annually, yet their residents have limited access to nearby emergency services. To address this growing concern, Martin Truex Jr. and Sherry Pollex partnered with Novant Health to introduce the Martin Truex Jr. Foundation Children’s Emergency at Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center. This new state-of the-art facility will be the first children’s emergency department in the Lake Norman-Huntersville area.
Children have unique needs – from properly-sized medical equipment to extra reassurance when things get frightening. It is important for them to be treated by physicians trained in pediatric emergency care in an environment designed with kids in mind. The Martin Truex Jr. Foundation Children’s Emergency will be staffed with physicians and nurses who specialize in caring for kids. This facility will also staff a child life specialist to better meet the needs of our smallest patients. Additionally, our new pediatric emergency department will include:
- Nine private treatment rooms
- Triage room
- NASCAR-themed family-friendly waiting room
- Advanced medical equipment specifically designed to treat children
- Family consultation room
- Flat-screen televisions
- Treatment room for minor emergencies
- Sleep chairs for late-night emergencies
Our child life specialists work to reduce stress and trauma in clinical settings for children and their families. Stress and trauma can affect the development, health and well-being of children and can affect family members as well. A family-centered approach is used to address children’s social and emotional needs.
Child life services can support families in the following ways:
- Age-appropriate preparation before treatment and information about a diagnosis
- Sessions to help a child play through medical experiences while in the hospital
- Coping plan for an upcoming medical experience
- Support and distraction during procedures
- Information regarding sibling responses to hospitalization
- Grief resources to families who have lost a loved one
The Martin Truex Jr. Foundation Children’s Emergency is a critical long-term strategy to create a healthier community. Philanthropy is required for initial construction and retrofitting costs. We are asking our donors to join Martin, Sherry and Novant Health and help create a more efficient healthcare system that encompasses all of our of children’s healthcare needs. With your participation, leadership and generosity, we can strengthen our community by ensuring every child has access to lifesaving services close to home.
To learn more about recognition opportunities and how you can support this critical need, contact Nichole J. Burton at [email protected] or 704-384-5389.